I am a Big Five deviant
Richard plans to compile these data and make them available to social scientists and statisticians under an open-source license. This is a really neat project and I encourage all my fellow bloggers to participate.
The five factor model is a fascinating subject in its own right. The Big Five paradigm is most scientifically rigorous approaches to the study of personality that psychology has to offer. Sanjay Srivasta has an excellent introduction to the subject here:
The Big Five were derived from analyses of which traits tend to co-occur in the population, but the underlying correlations are probabilistic and thus exceptions are possible. For example, talkativeness and assertiveness are both traits associated with Extraversion, but you could imagine somebody that is assertive but not talkative -- the "strong, silent type." However, numerous studies indicate that most people who are assertive are also talkative (and vice versa), which is why they go together under the broader Extraversion factor.
Here are my results. No real surprises, except for the fact that I'm only in the 17th percentile for "morality" and at the 0 percentile for "modesty." When you interpret your own scores, keep in mind that the names of the sub-scales don't necessarily capture the concepts they evoke. For example the "morality" subscale seems to measure something more akin to straightforwardness or guilelessness than morality, per se.
Richard's instructions for taking the test and spreading the meme appear below the fold.
Location: New York, New York
Began blogging (dd/mm/yy): 08/03/04
Political Compass Results
Economic Left/Right: -9.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44
[NB: These numbers are percentile rankings comparing my scores to those of other adult women. When you take the test, your scores will be calculated relative to the responses of other people of the same age and gender--Majikthise.]
EXTRAVERSION: 60 (Average)
Activity Level: 97
AGREEABLENESS: 21 (Low)
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS: 80 (High)
NEUROTICISM: 17 (Low)
OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE: 93 (High)
Artistic Interests: 41
1. Philosophy, et cetera - pixnaps.blogspot.com - pixnaps97a2
2. Majikthise - 6ea37d10-e9b9-11d9-8cd6-0800200c9a66
Overview: This post is a community experiment with two broad purposes. The first is to create publicly accessible data about bloggers' personalities, which may have sociological value in addition to being just plain fun. The second is to track the propagation of this meme through blogspace. Full details and explanation can be found on the original posting: http://pixnaps.blogspot.com/2005/06/meme-worth-spreading.html
Instructions (to join in the experiment):
1) Take the IPIP-NEO personality test and the Political Compass quiz, if you have not done so already.
2) Copy to the clipboard that section of this post that is between the double lines, and paste it into your blog editor. (Blogger users may wish to use 'compose' mode to preserve formatting and hyperlinks. Otherwise, be sure to add hyperlinks as necessary.)
3) Replace the answers in the "survey" section below with your own.
4) Add your blog information to the "track list", in the form: "Linked title - URL - optional GUID".
5) Any additional comments should go outside of the double lines, including the (optional) nomination of bloggers you wish to pass this experimental meme on to.
6) Post it to your blog!